A Rope Covered Tire Planter with Tripod Legs

Hey there everyone!  Earth day is coming up on April 22nd, which means it’s the time of year when people start thinking of ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle.  I love the challenge of coming up with ways to reduce waste.  If you don’t believe me, you should see my scrap wood pile.  I hate the idea of throwing it away when there could be a great project just begging to be built!  Luckily, I was able to use some of that scrap wood for this awesome project!

I teamed up with my local Discount Tire to figure out a creative way to make good use of old tires.  I love that I have a location close to me.  We’ve been loyal customers for as long as I can remember, so I was pretty excited to work with them.  I stopped by the shop to pick out an old tire and found one that felt like it would be perfect for my project!  I also apparently just missed seeing one of my friends who also popped in to grab some tires for an upcycling project she was working on too!  So you can already tell it’s easy to stop in and get your own tire for this project.

Here’s what you’ll need to make this planter:

1 old tire
1 – 4×4 board cut to 3 – 12″ long pieces with 15 degree angles at each end.  The long side and short side of the angles should measure 12″.
approx 200′ of 3/8″ sisal rope (or less if you have a bigger diameter)
weatherproof stain
2″ pocket hole screws
Kreg Jig or angle brackets
2″ bolts and nuts
3/4″ plywood or end of wood spool
jigsaw with scroll blade




I absolutely love how the planter turned out!  I had struggled with different ways to build this for weeks, but the rope idea finally popped into my head and it came out better than I could have imagined.  Truth be told, my husband hated the idea of me doing a project with a tire, but once he saw the finished planter he really likes it!  To keep up with the upcycling spirit, I also finally got around to building a tailgate bench using an old ’55 Chevy tailgate that I’ve had sitting on the side of our house for the past two years.  I knew it would be the perfect compliment to the tire planter!  I’ll be sharing that tutorial in a few days.

Have you ever created any projects from recycled tires?  I’d love it if you shared them!  It’s always fun to see what others can come up with.  If you’re looking to build this project or others with tires, definitely head to your local Discount Tire.  They’d be happy to help you turn old tires into new creations!
See more here

You should also see :